Sunday, September 13, 2009

...both parties have reached a compromise and the deadlock is now over
..certain "conditions" have been agreed to, and negotiations were made

That's right folks, my "labor day-no cooking strike" is over.
Wow, 10 days without cooking, I was really starting to enjoy it.
The other day I overheard Taylor telling Mike, "Dad, I really don't KNOW HOW to make Mom feel more appreciated."
I have been asking them if they even want me to cook because the kids enjoyed several days of freedom. Mike even discovered how to make pizza dough..however by the 4th night of pizza, the kids were asking for something different.
Cereal, sandwiches and pizza do get old after awhile, plus we did go out to eat once.
Then I started asking them if they wanted me to cook and it was "YES!" and suggesting all sorts of things to make. I grilled them if they were going to complain or not show up and they were quick to say "NO"!
I think that I too have learned a lesson on expectations. If I don't have a homemade dinner 5 times a week on the table, my family will be okay.


A New Approach
So last night we enjoyed chicken cordon bleu, rice, fresh corn and a big salad. I made little sticky buns in a muffin pan for dessert and we were all happy.

This made me realize that things will be different from now on. I am going to have the kids participate a little more in meal preparations, and I am going to start making some dishes I LIKE. I love to eat a little healthier and a little less "meaty', but for years for the sake of the family, I compromise my wants for theirs. We have a society that thinks you must feed kids "kid foods", and mac-n-cheese, chicken nuggets here we come. Well I really differ with that, and have made compromises over the years with my own kids and am now suffering because of it and they are used to it. When Taylor was a baby, he never got a bottle or formula, had homemade baby food and did NOT get sugar. As a result , he enjoys salad, fruits and really doesn't like candy that much.

Mom's choice
So, once a week, I am making "Mom's choice" and stir fry, tofu, beans and rice, salmon, quinoa, soups and lots more veggies, here we come. My years in Seattle has my palette used to more "granola" type foods as my husband would put it but I never enjoy them. My kids will get an opportunity to try or be exposed to much more healthier foods and I will get what I want, which sometimes doesn't happen when you are a Mom.

To be inspired on some 'natural' cooking here are some links:
Cookus interuptus
Catherine Newman's yummy cooking (look what her kids eat!!)
Good Eats

0 comments: