Monday, April 6, 2009

Are you SICK of hearing about the unemployment rates, the bailout scandal, the bad news that goes on and on? There is a difference between reality and over-hype.

So I am here to list all the GOOD, the WONDERFUL and the AMAZING things that I am thankful for DESPITE the raging economy blues.

1. A healthy family. We have sniffles, occasional pukes fests, but my kids have never seen the inside of an emergency room and have only missed 4-6 days of school so far. I thank God.

2. A husband and partner that sticks with me through good and bad, and shares LOTS Of laughs in between. Love you sweetie for loving me just who I am.

3. A source of income. I whine and complain and a temp job scanning and part-time job at Kohl's is NOT my longterm plan, nor does it fulfill any goals I have...but it PUTS FOOD ON THE TABLE AND GAS IN MY CAR!

4. I am learning how to live with less. Do my kids need $50 of toys for Easter baskets? No. Do they need to understand what Easter is and appreciate it? Yes. Do they NEED a trip to Disneyland we had planned in October? No. Will we set an example for them by NOT using credit cards and teach them something that lasts beyond a trip to see Mickey? YES.

5. Coupons are my friend and I will borrow any recipe, idea and technique on how to get more out of my groceries and dollars. Thanks thrifty mom!

6. I really DO NOT need to eat out two or three times per week. I can cook (*sharp intake of air*) and eat better and enjoy a meal with my family, and TEACH my kids more cooking skills.

7. I choose to live in a Kingdom where worldly matters DON'T matter and my destiny has already been written. Thank you Lord.

8. I have friends that provide a laugh, a smile and an ear.

9. I have a church family that builds me up when I am out of steam, broken down and tired and remind me of #7.

10. I have really wonderful kids. How I love them for their creativity, occasional sassiness, abundance of love, freedom and trust. They teach ME everyday.

KEEP SMILING!!

2 comments:

Krystal said...

What a great post! I totally agree with you. In fast, just this morning, around precisely 5 a.m. when I was up and feeding Amelia, I was watching the news. They had a segment called "Sunny Side Up" where they feature stories that are positive and/or happy. It lasted for all of about 2 minutes and consisted of 2 or 3 stories. I thought to myself that it's crazy that out of 30 minutes of news, they reserve only a few for the upbeat ones. It's really kind of sad that our society doesn't focus more on the positive and less on the negative. We'd probably all be a lot happier. Actually, that's pretty much a no-brainer! Anyway, good post! :)

Rendi said...

Sometimes it is hard to see the great things when life wears you down, but it is a smart person that can review and put things in perspective. Thanks for the reminder!