Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Let's start with some good facts.  Neither of my kids have been to the emergency room, which is pretty good considering I have an 11 year old, in fact he hasn't even had to go to the doctor in probably two years.  No stitches, no broken bones.  I always knew that Hannah, my energetic, crazy climbing, gymnastics girl would be the first one to go.
Last Thursday, unfortunately that came true.
It was the afternoon, the kids were home from school.  Earlier in the day I had picked up the candy pictured above.  I rarely buy candy. I have no willpower and it makes Hannah WAY too hyper.  But I had a crazy work day and I needed sugar.  So I gave her a couple pieces.  Minutes later I hear a choking noise.  Followed by more choking.  Then feet running into my office.  Her face was red, she was grabbing her throat.  I wasn't too worried.  I asked her if it was stuck, she only nodded.  I looked in her mouth.  I turned her around and did the heimlich about two times.  It didn't do anything.  Her face was really red.  I was worried at this point that she wasn't getting air.  The size of these candies are perfect for getting stuck in her airway.  Without hesitation I tell Taylor to call 911, now.  Hannah is now on her hands and knees drooling and I can hear that damn candy rattling in her throat.  Now I'm freaking out, but she is so panicked I can't be.  I tell her it's okay, people are coming to help.  I'm giving the dispatcher our address and she is telling me to look at Hannah's face.  Then I hear a wonderful sound, a little voice that says, "I don't want an operation."  That sound told me she COULD breathe, if she was talking, she was getting air.  She was really scared and the paramedics came and said she had to go to the hospital, as the candy was now lodged right in her trachea.  She was upset because it was hurting and she couldn't swallow, so she was drooling.  Her vitals were fine, she wanted paper to draw on, because she  said, "It relaxes me."  We get to the ER and she starts looking really pale.  The nurses get us a bed and check her and leave, saying the doctor will come in.  Now, the ER was really busy. I understand we are about a 1 on the important list here, she is breathing, etc., but everyone's attitude was killing me!! This is like a #10 emergency to me!

She is looking really uncomfortable trying not to move because her throat really hurts.  Then she starts gagging and I'm worried that stupid candy is moving-well it did move.  Up and out! I've never been happier to see bright blue puke!  She leans back on the pillow and starts watching TV, like nothing at all had happened. 

Good grief.  I've stayed calm and re-assuring but at that moment I lost it.  What could have happened was racing through my mind and I was so incredibly grateful she was okay.  Mike picked us up and in an hour she was running around the house antagonizing her brother, like usual.

It's crazy how a couple minutes or seconds can change your life.  I'm so thankful my girl is okay.  She said she wasn't eating candy anymore, but that didn't really stick for 24 hours. However, we will not be eating any Tootsie drop pops soon, or at all!

0 comments: