Thursday, April 8, 2010


"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."


Well since I'm not getting much exercise in lately (that Denise Austin bootcamp DVD has only been played once since it's purchase).....I can say I am getting LOTS of reading in, and thus my mind is in really good shape.  I love to read.  Really. love. to. read.  My favorite time is before bed-I can't get to sleep without turning at least a couple pages.  I enjoy watching both my kids getting completely lost in a story.  During spring break, Taylor stayed up until 11:30 most nights in bed with his lamp on reading a series called "Warriors" (and didn't get up til 11 the next morning).  His teacher sent home a sheet that said if he could read 600 minutes in one month, the local water park would give him a free ticket. 
  Taylor read over 1,500 minutes!!   
We are throwing in an extra incentive since he did so awesome! 

Anyhoo.  I thought I would list what I have been reading lately, or in the past 4 months.  I always ask people what they are reading and if everyone could just have a list occasionally, it would be fun. I might not include authors but if you look up the title at amazon, you'll find it. I enjoyed them all, even if I didn't leave a comment.

Finished reads:
  • House Rules by Jodi Picoult  EXCELLENT-I have enjoyed all her books and this one is really good about a boy with Aspbergers
  • The Glass Castle by Jeanette Wells-a memoir so captivating-read it when you are feeling sorry for yourself
  •  The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox-sad and strange-really excellent
  • The Help by Katherine Stockett-wonderful
  • Vegetable, Animal, Miracle
  • Heaven is so Real by Choo Thomas-amazing is all I can say
  • There is always enough  -amazing
  • Dear John by Nicholas Sparks-what can I say? I am a sucker for a love story-the movie was better
  • Brooklyn by Colm Toibin 
  • Still Growing by Kirk Cameron-biography 
  • Williams-Sonoma book of Baking-yummmm
  • Riding the Bus with my sister by Rachel Simon-must read!
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • The Memory Keeper's Daughter-excellent
  • While I was gone & The Good Mother by Sue Miller
  • Firstborn and Sunrise series by Karen Kingsbury-family stories
  • A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg-beautiful recipes and stories
  • The Barefoot Contessa cookbook-my favorite food network chef
  • The Bread Bible
Upcoming reads:
  • Feeding the Whole Family -delicious, whole food recipes-it's been on my wish list for awhile
  • Skeletons at the feast by Chris Bohjalian
  • The forgotten garden by Kate Morton
  • Bringing up Kids without tearing them down
  • Imperfect Birds-Anne Lamott's latest-if you are a mom and have never read Operating Instructions by her, you must!
  • Coop by Michael Perry-one man's qwest to live natural -biography
  • Angels on Assignment by Roland Buck
  • Connection Parenting by Pam Leo
  • Jamie's Food Revolution by Jamie Oliver
More to come later!  I have to say that I love my local library.  Whenever they don't have a book, they get it from another library or three times now, they have bought it!  I love that.

2 comments:

Rendi said...

So you should go onto goodreads.com and use that to share your books...it is great to compile them and you have friends that you can get their recent reads and recommendations. I wish I had more time lately to read. I love it so much but I haven't been able to spend the time I would like. Having a baby really takes up your time!

Kristi Case said...

Rendi-I've been to goodreads.com, it takes too much time-I don't mind going there and checking out what other people are reading but I'm too lazy to keep it updated :-)
Babies do take a lot of time!